The borough of Media is the county seat of Delaware County, in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania and is located 13 miles west of Philadelphia. Media was incorporated in 1850 at the same time that it was named the county seat. The population is currently 5,362 according to the 2017 census. Its school district is the Rose Tree Media School District with Penncrest High School and Springton Lake Middle School. In June 2006, it became the first fair trade town in America. Media promotes itself by its motto: “Everybody’s Hometown”.
In June 2006, Media became the first town in the United States to follow over 300 towns in Europe in attaining fair trade certification. To meet the criteria for certification, Media passed a council resolution in support of fair trade, served fair-trade coffee and tea in local government meetings and offices, ensured that a range of fair-trade products were available in local restaurants and businesses, raised popular support and provided media coverage for the fair-trade campaign, and convened a fair-trade steering committee to ensure continued commitment
Media, the highest point in Delaware County and approximately 12 miles from Philadelphia, is a planned town. Streets were laid to spread south, west, and east around the spot selected for the new courthouse. Lots were sold at public auctions and the construction of houses began soon after. Churches, inns and shops followed as well as establishments that included livery stables and blacksmith shops.
Official website: https://www.mediaborough.com/
Population: 5,362 (2017)
Did you know that you can have a Media home address and live in NINE different municipalities including Media Borough, Middletown Township, Upper Providence Township, Nether Providence Township, Rose Valley Borough, Marple Township, Edgemont Township, Chester Heights Borough, and Aston Township?
Did you know that zip code boundaries are not synchronized with school districts or municipalities? In fact, living in the 19063 zip code overlaps with the FIVE different school districts of Rose Tree Media, Wallingford-Swarthmore, Marple Newtown, Garnet Valley, and Penn-Delco.
Are you confused? So are many others. We created this unique multi-layered and color-coded map to provide some clarity. Choose from the three drop-down menus, and select any, or all, of the maps. Click “update” and watch the different map layers overlap. Enjoy, and let us know if we can be of any further help.
INFO ON MEDIA PA
Middletown Township is a township in Delaware County, Pennsylvania, United States. The Pennsylvania State University has an undergraduate satellite campus located in the north-central portion of the township, while Neumann University, a private co-educational Franciscan university, is located in nearby Aston Township.
Originally established in 1686, Middletown Township adopted a Home Rule Charter in 1978. The township is governed by the council-manager system, a representative form of government in which the seven elected officials set policy for the township and the manager oversees the delivery of all public services and programs.
Middletown Township was probably established as a township in 1686, but it is first mentioned in 1687 when John Martin was established as constable. The name of the township is believed to be derived from its position in the middle or central of Chester County here it resided until 1789 when Delaware County was created from the eastern portion of Chester County.
The John J. Tyler Arboretum and Ridley Creek State Park are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Official website: http://www.middletowntownship.org/
Population: 16,011 (2018)
Rose Valley is a small, historic borough in Delaware County, Pennsylvania, United States. Its area is 0.73 square miles, and the population was 949 at the 2017 census. The area was settled by Quaker farmers in 1682, and later water mills along Ridley Creek drove manufacturing in the nineteenth century.
Native Americans of the Leni Lenape or Delaware tribe lived in the area when Europeans began arriving. A major trade route, the Great Minquas Path, passed through the site of the present borough, along Long Point, a hairpin turn in Ridley Creek, and then across the creek and through the center of the borough. Furs were carried along the path from Native Americans on the Susquehanna River to European traders on the Schuylkill and Delaware river.
Rose Valley is located in central Delaware County, 1.5 miles (2.4 km) south of Media, the county seat, and 4 miles (6 km) north of Chester. It is bordered by Nether Providence Township to the north, east, and south, and by Middletown Township to the west. Ridley Creek, a south-flowing tributary of the Delaware River, forms the western boundary of the borough.
Official website: http://www.rosevalleyborough.org/
Population: 949 (2017)
Upper Providence Township is a township in Delaware County, Pennsylvania, United States, located around and north of the borough of Media, and about 15 miles west of center city Philadelphia. The population was 10,435 at the 2017 census. Ridley Creek State Park is inside the township towards the northern edge, and the township also contains Ridley Creek and Crum Creek. The township is zoned 98% residential, 1% commercial and 1% industrial, with minimal space zoned to commercial business.
The area was settled about 1683 and formed into Providence Township. On October 17, 1683, the residents of Providence Township petitioned the Court of Chester County, of which they were then a part, to establish a road from Providence to Chester. The court approved the creation of Providence Great Road (now Route 252). Upper Providence Township and Nether Providence Township, Pennsylvania split in 1687. The borough of Media was formed in 1850 from pieces of both townships.
Water power was used extensively in the township's early history, with local mills including Sycamore Mills or Bishop's Mills built on Ridley Creek in 1718, Robinett Grist Mill (1687), Malin's Grist Mill (1770), Register's Nail Factory (1812), and Palmer's Mills (1802).
Official website: https://www.upperprovidence.org/
Population: 10,435 (2017)
Nether Providence Township is a first class township in Delaware County, Pennsylvania, United States. Many residents refer to the township by the name of its largest community, Wallingford, because the Wallingford postal code is used for most of the township. The population of the township was 13,762 at the 2017 census.
The first recorded inhabitants of Nether Providence Township were Native Americans of the Lenape tribe, who lived in the area for about five hundred years, but by 1740 few remained. On August 14, 1682, two months before William Penn's landing in Chester, John Sharpless came to the area. Penn had given Sharpless a thousand-acre (4-km2) tract, and he settled near Ridley Creek. By the time Penn arrived, there were several small settlements in the area, which became known as Providence Township. Providence Township comprised today's Nether Providence, Rose Valley, Media, and Upper Providence. On October 17, 1683, the residents of Providence Township petitioned the Court of Chester County, of which they were then a part, to establish a road from Providence to Chester. The court approved the creation of Providence Great Road (now Route 252). Nether Providence went through four distinct phases from farming, to manufacturing, to resort, and finally, to residential community. By 1729, the area was producing sufficient crops to allow exporting to New England, Canada, and Europe.
Official website: http://netherprovidence.org/
Population: 13,762 (2017)
Marple Township is a township in Delaware County, Pennsylvania, United States. It contains the census designated place of Broomall. The population was 23,816 at the 2017 cenus. ZIP codes include mainly 19008, but also partially 19064 and 19063. Township is run by Marple Township board of commissioners. President Joseph Rufo, Vice President Daniel Leefson.
The Delaware County area was first settled by Quakers who came to Pennsylvania by the Delaware River on September 29, 1683. The ship they used was called the Endeavor. Marple Township was originally settled in 1684 and was recognized as a township in the same year. The original spelling of the township was Marpool, but the spelling was changed to Marple in the Thomas Holme map of 1687. The Marpool spelling may have been an error. One of the settlers who arrived on the Endeavor was Thomas Massey. He obtained a 300-acre plantation in the township from William Penn. The house he built on the land is still preserved today, as well as some of its surrounding gardens. Another historical family known as the Van Leers built several historical sites and lived in the area. Dr. Bernardhus Van Leer owned the nearby Van Leer House and his family built the nearby Van Leer Cabin.
Official website: http://www.marpletwp.com
Population: 23,816 (2017)
Edgmont Township is a township in Delaware County, Pennsylvania, United States. Edgmont contains the unincorporated community of Gradyville. The population was 4,067 at the 2017 census.
Edgmont Township, otherwise known by the post office name of "Edgemont" (ZIP code 19028), is a semi-rural suburban area in western Delaware County. It was one of the first townships in Pennsylvania, founded in the late 1680s. The name is derived from the ancient royal manor of Edgemond in Shropshire, England, where Joseph Baker, one of the earliest settlers to the township, emigrated from. Joseph Baker was the representative for Delaware County in the Provincial Assembly.
Edgmont Township lies northwest of the center of Delaware County, with its northern border forming the Chester County line. Edgmont Township is bordered by the townships of Middletown, Upper Providence, Newtown, and Thornbury in Delaware County, and Willistown in Chester County. The single largest geographic feature of the township is Ridley Creek State Park, in the eastern part of the township. It is a popular destination for a full range of recreational activities, and it is home to the Colonial Pennsylvania Plantation, a colonial farm park staffed from late spring through early fall.
Official website: http://edgmont.org/
Population: 4,067 (2017)
Chester Heights is a borough in Delaware County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 2,631 at the 2017 census. Most of the borough lies south of U.S. 1, about a mile southwest of Wawa.
The history of Chester Heights predates grants of William Penn, when the Swedes had penetrated some distance inland from the Delaware River and had found the rich soil very conducive to productive farming. To a remarkable extent, the area had continued to be so used until the last decade. In the 18th and 19th centuries, the borough was part of Aston Township, though this northernmost section of Aston did not have a village aspect as such. With the advent of a railroad, which made its first run-through on Christmas Day 1833, a concentration of houses developed.
With the reach of the automobile, a settlement of homes sprang up along the oldest road in the borough. That route, now Valleybrook Road, was once known as the "Logtown Road" and was one of the earliest routes from Chester settlement to the interior. It wanders over and along the West Branch of Chester Creek and is noted for its abrupt curves at the borough's southern end.
Official website: http://www.chesterheights.org/
Population: 2,631 (2017)
Aston Township is a township in Delaware County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 16,701 at the 2017 census.
Aston was first settled in 1682 as a municipality and was incorporated as a township in 1688 (one of the first townships in Pennsylvania). Prior to 1687, Aston was known as Northley. Edward Carter, who was the constable of the township, changed the name from Northley to Aston in remembrance of his old home of Aston in Oxfordshire, England.
In 1906, Aston became a first class township. The current boundaries of Aston were established in 1945 when the northwestern portion of the township seceded to form the borough of Chester Heights.
Aston Township is located in southwestern Delaware County, northwest of Chester and southwest of Media, the county seat. The borough of Chester Heights is along the northwest border of the township. Chester Creek, a southeast-flowing tributary of the Delaware River, forms the eastern border of the township. The township is bordered by the City of Chester to the south.
Official website: http://astontownship.net/
Population: 16,710 (2017)